- About Us
- Charter Schools
- Community Partners
- District Boundaries
- Public Records Request
- SMCSD Press
- Strategic Plan
Vision, Mission and Values
We exist to:
Instill a love of learning in our children and support them to be curious and flexible thinkers, confident in their individuality, their community, and their ability to create a safer and more just world.
The mission of the SMCSD is to academically and socially prepare students for success at each grade level and in high school on the path to college and career in a safe, healthy and culturally responsive learning environment. We provide a rigorous and challenging academic program with highly qualified educators in collaboration with parents and community partners. We will hold our learning community accountable for our progress.
We believe in the potential of each student. Families, community partners and educators embrace and support our public schools.
Inclusive: We are curious, open minded, generous, humble and empathetic.
Optimistic: We are hopeful, proactive, resilient and creative.
Collaborative : We are flexible and committed to teamwork.
Making a Difference: We are dedicated to achieving transformative outcomes.
Accountable: We are ethical, dependable and trustworthy.
Components of a Comprehensive Educational Program
Consistent with the District’s Vision and Mission Statement, the components of a comprehensive educational program include:
- Robust Curriculum - Project/Inquiry-Based
- Foreign Language Offering
- Small Class Sizes
- Extended Learning
- Parent Engagement/Center
- Human Health Services Offered at or Near School
- Integrated Systems/Case Management
- School Social Workers
- Counseling and Social Skills Programs
- Community Service Opportunities and Partnerships
- Student Leadership Training
- Organized Sports
- Instructional Coaches
- Inter-District Opportunities for Students to Promote Diversity
- Increased Technology Access
- Transition to High School
Priorities and Goals
Priorities and Goals
Provide safe, healthy, positive learning environments
- Implement HKS Survey grades 5 and 7.
- Implement No Bully program.
- Implement Aeries discipline tracking.
- Implement positive behavior management systems district-wide.
- Review, implement and monitor wellness policies.
- Explore working with National Equity Project.
Ensure that all students within SMCSD reach high levels of achievement
- Improve in academic achievement +30 points on CST/API at each grade level.
- Implement quarterly benchmark assessments cycles of improvement (PDSA) and report scores.
- Purchase and implement accelerated intervention curriculum and tools for student learning.
- Implement Aeries parent and student portals.
- Provide instructional and leadership coaching for teachers and administrators.
- Convene Re-Design Committee and develop action plan.
- Convene Finance Committee.
- Analyze budget; complete long-range forecast; align spending with goals (programs/students).
- Consider Fiscal Crisis and Management Assistance Team (FCMAT) Health Risk
- Indicator goals.
- Revise and implement business processes – position control, payroll, budget reporting.
- Provide rigorous evaluations and support for continuous improvement for all staff.
- Provide timely evaluation; require goal setting, progress reporting, and self-reflection.
- Provide leadership opportunities for staff.
- Ensure accountability for each and every job function; focus on student achievement.
- Engage the community by building strong, constructive relationships with students, parents and local groups
- Facilitate ongoing collaboration with after-school service providers and focus on alignment with a common goal - student achievement.
- Engage community advocates in regular meetings with the Superintendent and Board of Trustees.
- Prepare and communicate schedule(s) of parent education events, outreach meetings, open houses, and volunteers.
- Implement Connect Ed communication and provide access to computers for parents.